Speech or speech-language pathologists are medical specialists who assess, diagnose and treat individuals who have speech problems or suffer from swallowing or communication problems. If a career in speech pathology interests you, continue reading and learn what becoming a speech pathologist in Dallas, TX all entails.
List of Elite Programs in Dallas,TX
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Find Accredited Speech Language Pathology Education in Dallas, TX
Graduating from an accredited speech pathology training program is the first step towards joining this field. The Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) is the most common accrediting agency for speech pathology programs. According to both the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), speech pathologists must have at least a master’s degree in speech-language pathology to practice in Texas. Students in these programs complete medical-based courses as well as supervised internships. Bachelor degree pathology programs are also offered at some colleges.
Like most of the states, Texas requires speech pathologists be licensed. Upon graduation from a CAA-accredited program, graduates can apply for licensure after they pass a certification exam through the ASHA. To be eligible to take the test, the candidate must meet the following requirements.
• At least a master’s degree
• 400 hours of supervised clinical experience
• 36 weeks of supervised professional experience
• Pass the certification exam
• Pass a criminal background check
Licenses are good for two years; at least 20 hours of continuing education credits must be completed to maintain certification/licensure.
Salaries for Speech Language Pathology in Dallas, TX
As of February 2015, speech and language pathologists in Dallas earned an average annual salary of $74,353, according to Salary.com. Different factors can affect salaries such as location, place of employment and skill level. Salaries ranged from $62,000 at the low end and $87,000 or more at the high end.
List of Speech Language Pathology Programs in Dallas, TX
Although there is no speech pathology programs right in Dallas, there are a few within a 40-mile radius of the downtown Dallas area. Listed below are the schools, programs and the length of the training.
• Bachelor of Science in Speech Language Pathology – 4 years – Texas Christian University – Fort Worth, TX
• Master of Science in Speech Language Pathology – 2 years plus bachelor’s degree – Texas Christian University – Fort Worth, TX
• Master of Science in Speech Language Pathology with emphasis in bilingual SLP- 2 years plus bachelor’s degree – Texas Christian University – Fort Worth, TX
• Bachelor of Arts in Speech Language Pathology/Audiology – 4 years – University of North Texas – Denton, TX
• Master of Science in Speech Language Pathology – 4 years – Texas Women’s University – Denton, TX